Sunday, January 13, 2008

Worship

But their idols are silver and gold, Made by the hands of men. They have mouths, but cannot speak, Eyes, but they cannot see; They have ears, but cannot hear, Noses, but they cannot smell, They have hands but cannot feel, Feet, but they cannot walk; Nor can they utter a sound with their throats Those who make them will be like them, and so will all who trust in them. -Psalm 115:4-8 Verses like this can be found throughout the Bible, and I don't think you necessarily have to believe it is the Word of God to agree with the principle it teaches; we are shaped by and, in a sense, become what we worship. If we worship money, we will become greedy. If we worship sex, lustful. If we worship people, selfish and/or dependent. Whatever we worship, owns us, and we are all so much less free than we believe. The problem is that I really believe we were made to worship. We are all looking for something/someone to redeem us, something to put our trust and hope in. (Perhaps, I am generalizing too strongly, but this has been my experience.) I also firmly believe that the best person in the world, the most kind, beautiful, and loving person, does not deserve the worship of the lowliest dregs of society. Their worship is too good for her. At the end of the day, wrongly directed worship seriously fucks up relationships. I don't care what the movies say. It hurts the person who is worshipping; it hurts the person who is being worshipped. Sometimes I wonder if celebrities are ruined, not only by wealth or privilege etc etc, but also by their worshipping fans. To be honest, I think I've probably had a taste of both sides of this situation, and it is always awful. They have never been able to deliver what I ultimately need, and I certainly have not been able to deliver. Distinguishing between love and worship is a tricky thing. Worship means never letting go; in fact, you can't let go; you have put all the anchors of who you are into that thing. It is inappropriate to let go. However, so many times, when we love people, as corny as it sounds, it requires us to let them go. This is a conflation of a personal message and something I've been thinking about lately. I hope it comes off not a judgment as much as an encouragement. If you are reading this, I probably love you.

No comments: