Friday, April 22, 2011

good friday

A song I wrote for Good Friday.  Thanks again to Blade for the help recording it.


In writing this song, I was aware of two desires.  The primary one was to call out for the grace, like Julian of Norwich and many other saints, to see and to know more fully the love and suffering of Christ which He displayed on the cross that I might worship and adore Him more.  The second was the awareness of an underlying desire to see Him on the cross, not in order to worship, but in order to satisfy my own sinful craving to see innocence suffer for my pain.  It’s hard to put to words the depth of darkness in my heart that I confronted as I wrote this song and began to identify with the crowd crying, “Crucify Him!”  Yet at the same time I know that Christ died not only because of these desires but for them.  The depths of His mercy is fathomless.  There is so much that has been written about Good Friday, and we have barely scraped the surface of its meaning.  In some ways I feel like I am just adding to the din, and that the Passion is so holy, we ought to just stand in utter silence before it.  
But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.  
-Isaiah 53:5

No comments: